[Swift-devel] "type file;" by default

Ben Clifford benc at hawaga.org.uk
Tue Feb 3 05:45:06 CST 2009

Pretty much every simple SwiftScript program that I write, I find myself
putting in "type file;" at the start, and avoiding "marker types" of the
form:

   type picturefile;

and thus ignoring application-level type checking (checking that I'm not
feeding a picture into a text processing app, and the like) whilst still
taking advantage of other swift type checking.

To simplify low-end uses of the language, it might be useful to have the
above "type file;" defined as a built-in type.

This has been discussed before, but I'd like to know what peoples opinions
are.