[Swift-devel] nearly, but not quite optimal performance on ranger from ranger under coasters

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Apr 29 17:10:55 CDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-04-29 at 16:44 -0500, Glen Hocky wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
> Today I tried to run jobs of length ~45 minutes. I ran on Ranger from
> Ranger with
>     <profile namespace="karajan" key="initialScore">50</profile>
>     <profile namespace="karajan" key="jobThrottle">5</profile>
>
> This submitted 51 jobs to the queue, of which 38 went to the run state,
> meaning there should be 608 available coasters. I  had
> > Progress:  Selecting site:2569  Active:431  Finished successfully:9
> For ~30 minutes until some jobs started finishing. Then I had a stead
> decline of activity,

Your decline of activity is due to stage-ins and stage-outs, and it's
not really a decline of activity. I suggest you let it run instead of
interrupting it when you feel it's not working right.

You should probably interrupt it when you see no active jobs in the
queue and if no information is appended to the swift log in more than,
say, 10 minutes.