[Swift-devel] Coaster capabilities for release 0.9

Michael Wilde wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Apr 22 12:13:08 CDT 2009

On 4/22/09 11:51 AM, Mihael Hategan wrote:

>> Automation of the core scheduler has proven to be hard, but has made
>> good progress.
>
> I don't think the scehduler has changed much, and I don't think it was
> hard. The problem I've seen was a misunderstanding of the problem rather
> than a problem with the solution.

I say this based on experience using the system and helping users use
the system.

The problems I observe, which persist, are:

--

1) slow start starts too slow. Maybe the user needs a simple setting of
how aggressive to schedule, where the automated default is somewhat more

And it should be based on job starting, not job completion - I dont know
if it is, but it *seemed* to me it was not. I might be mistaken.

2) the throttle settings by which a user can seek to adjust things are
too complex for any of the users I have worked with to deal with,
including me. Some of that can be fixed by documentation.

3) the settings need to get tuned by experts on a per-site basis to be
considered "automated". Thats not a defect in the scheduler per se (in
fact, its a valuable feature that such tuning can be done).

BUT end uses should not have to dicker with these settings for every
site. WE need to provide site definitions for TG, OSG, etc (ie
"supported" sites) and we need documentation that tells a user (eg a
"swift admin") how to do this for new sites.

--

I think if we do #3, then #1 and #2 are solved issues.

But part of the "misunderstanding of the problem" is understanding that
the feature is not done till its working well for ordinary end users.

The current scheduler is almost there. This should go on the work list
under discussion now as a work item.

We should look at user logs after it gets into heavier use, tune as
needed, and ideally write a research/practice paper on it.