[Swift-devel] Coaster capabilities for release 0.9

Ian Foster foster at anl.gov
Wed Apr 22 10:49:07 CDT 2009

>>> What you say does beg for a couple of questions:
>>> - if all work is done in a run but the allocation has more time
>>> left,
>>> should the workers be shut down or not?

Shut down.

>>> - if more work remains to be done in a run after an explicit
>>> allocation
>>> was used, should the system attempt to allocate more nodes? If not,
>>> should it hang? Fail?

Fail.

>>> - if the allocation is far in the distance from now, and a run is
>>> started now, is allocating nodes now a matter of second-guessing
>>> or a
>>> matter of trying to finish the work faster? What, besides alleged
>>> complexity of the algorithm, would be the downside of doing so?

Maybe someone has requested an allocation at 10am tomorrow because
that is when they want to run the application.

Maybe they are benchmarking, and want things to run with a specified
number of nodes).

Maybe someone doesn't trust the clever algorithm, or finds that it
fails for odd reason.

Having a more complex algorithm as well is great. I'm not saying this
would not be wonderful. But it shouldn't be obligatory.

Ian.