[Swift-devel] switchable copious provenance logging

Ian Foster foster at anl.gov
Tue Apr 21 07:44:19 CDT 2009

Given the fact that Swift programs describe the structure of
computations, we should be able to compress logs considerably, by
reference to the program. E.g., the program:

f() {
	g();
	h();
}

with no arguments will always (ignoring errors) execute g and h if f
is called. So we could just record that f() has been called.

I can imagine taking ideas of that sort quite a long way.

Now if f() has arguments, things get more complex. But one could
record subsets of argument information maybe?

Ian.