[Swift-devel] Re: oops provenance

Ben Clifford benc at hawaga.org.uk
Wed Apr 15 12:08:17 CDT 2009

On Wed, 15 Apr 2009, Michael Wilde wrote:

> yes, "but". Its long and hard to manage. We have experience now with both
> Falkon and Swift in giving runs simple short IDs, and that has worked well.
> Its so much easier to talk about oops run 0042 than run *imqvgr8. The long ID
> is also useful but should be more hidden and internal.

Swift has a -runid parameter that allows you to override the
date/time/randomid with a string of your choosing. This was implemented
specifically to address this case, where the end user believes they can
succesfully give runs IDs themselves and so swift does not need to. None
of the code requires the run id to be in the default generated format -
thats a conservative verbose default for when the user does not want to
generate identifiers themselves.

swift -runid foo first.xml

for example, will generate a logfile first-foo.log