[Swift-devel] oops provenance

Michael Wilde wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Apr 15 08:23:47 CDT 2009

was: Re: first stab

Glen, I'd like to pick up on the comment on provenance you made last
Sunday while gathering data for the oops paper.

Ben is focusing on provenance at the moment, and so I'd like to include
him in the discussion (although I know you are focusing on the
provenence challenge at the moment).

I think a starting point for oops provenance is this: For every run, you
want to know:

- an ID for the run
- time and date started / ended
- how many jobs ran where
- location of the output files & logs
- the run parameters (proteins, config params, scale)
- analyzed scores of the run output
- what version of oops was used
- what version of swift/cog was used
- what version of the oops.swift script was used

Given this in a database, you could also compare structure scores for
one version of code or one algorithm vs another

We're also always looking to see what level of parallelism was achieved
by swift, so some way of getting that out of the logs, up to an
including full log plots, would be handy.

- Mike