[Swift-devel] Re: swift plot

Ioan Raicu iraicu at cs.uchicago.edu
Mon Apr 13 17:15:50 CDT 2009

There are no notifications sent from Falkon to Swift when going from
queued to running state. However, for the purpose of running on the
BG/P, if Swift is configured properly, then any job submitted to Falkon
will go into a running state almost instantly, as Swift should not be
submitting jobs to Falkon unless Falkon has idle CPUs. So, you can treat
the "submitted" jobs as "active" jobs, for the purpose of getting a good
idea of how the workflow is progressing. Perhaps, we could even modify
the Falkon provider to change the job state from submitted to active,
upon successful submission. Again, if Swift is not configured right, to
throttle job submission (i.e. 256 jobs per Falkon on BG/P), then this
change will be misleading, such as would be the case when the throttles
are open wide, and there is a single Falkon service running.

Ioan

Glen Hocky wrote:
> Ah. The falkon provider only shows "submitted" when a job is running
> and only returns "active" when a job is staging out (or about to).
>
> Glen
>
> Ben Clifford wrote:
>> The graph on the front page 'Number of karajan level job submissions
>> that are 'Active'' looks like for the most part only 1 or 2 CPUs were
>> in use at any one time.
>>
>> That seems not so good - either 1 or 2 CPUs really were in use at any
>> one time, which is not good for the app perspective, or maybe the
>> execution provider that you are using is not reporting job statuses
>> correctly.
>>
>> For comparison, run with:
>> wrapperlog.always.transfer=true
>> in swift.properties, and make sure that if you move the .log file you
>> move the correspondingly named .d directory too, and then plot logs
>> and make sure that graphs on the info tab appear (they are broken
>> images at the moment).
>>
>> That will give a worker-nodes view of how many CPU cores are being
>> used as once, for comparison.

Ioan Raicu, Ph.D.
Distributed Systems Laboratory
Computer Science Department