[Swift-devel] Re: replication vs site score

Ioan Raicu iraicu at cs.uchicago.edu
Thu Apr 9 11:52:48 CDT 2009

What we usually do on the BG/P when using static provisioning, is that
Swift does not start until the resources have been allocated, and that
is because Falkon does not start until the resources are allocated. The
whole process is automated, in terms of Swift waiting for Falkon to
start, and Falkon waiting to start after resources get allocated. So, at
Swift startup, in a static provisioned case, Swift could have all the
information it might need, such as number of processors, number of
sites, load (i.e. idle, as the resources are dedicated to Swift), etc.

Ioan

Mihael Hategan wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-04-09 at 15:30 +0000, Ben Clifford wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 9 Apr 2009, Ian Foster wrote:
>>

>>> I wanted to point out that when we use Falkon/coasters, we have full control
>>> over scheduling, so in that case we could in principle pre-compute schedules.
>>>
>> Coasters as they are now are still allocated on an opportunistic basis, so
>> once we have a coaster stuff could be scheduled to it, but when coaster
>> workers actually exist is as unknown as when jobs will run in the
>> non-coaster case, I think.
>>
>> Where Falkon has been used for pre-allocated resources on machines, with
>> no dynamic allocation/unallocation, though, the available resources
>> probably are known well enough for this.
>>

> Except when using pre-allocated resources, you are still waiting for
> them, but the waiting is not automated.
>

>>> However, in practice we still don't tend to have enough information about
>>> execution times for this to be that useful. At least that's my belief.
>>>
>> yes.

Ioan Raicu, Ph.D.
Distributed Systems Laboratory
Computer Science Department