[Swift-devel] Re: replication vs site score

Ben Clifford benc at hawaga.org.uk
Mon Apr 6 11:11:31 CDT 2009

On Mon, 6 Apr 2009, Mihael Hategan wrote:

> I'm still not following. From what I understand, you are suggesting
> what's already there. So either that is true and you think the current
> scheme is not what it is, or I don't understand how your suggestion is
> different than the current scheme.

Its not the case, as I understand it, that replica jobs will always be run
after primary jobs - they will be run in the order they arrive in the job
queue. Jobs that Swift puts in the queue after that replication decision
has been made (for example, jobs that were waiting for dependent data)
will run after the replicas submitted before that dependent data become
available.

 a=p(x)
 b=p(y)
 c=q(a);

a, b run. eventually swift gets bored and resubmits b to the local job
queue. then a completes, and so c gets queued in the local job queue.

replica_of_b gets submitted to a site before c does.

or not?