[Swift-devel] Re: replication vs site score

Ben Clifford benc at hawaga.org.uk
Mon Apr 6 09:39:11 CDT 2009

even more rambling... in the context of a scheduler that is doing things
like prioritising jobs based on more than the order that Swift happened to
submit them (hopefully I will have a student for this in the summer), I
think a replicant job should be pushed toward later execution rather than
earlier execution to reduce the number of replicant jobs in the system at
any one time.

This is because I suspect (though I have gathered no numerical evidence)
that given the choice between submitting a fresh job and a replicant job
(making up terminology here too... mmm), it is almost always better to
submit the fresh job. Either we end up submitting the replicant job
eventually (in which case we are no worse off than if we submitted the
replicant first and then a fresh job); or by delaying the replicant job we
give that replicant's original a chance to start running and thus do not
discard our precious time-and-load-dollars that we have already spent on
queueing that replicant's original.