[Swift-devel] could swift use return code from falkon as a success notification?

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Sep 30 22:01:21 CDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-09-30 at 21:40 -0500, Zhao Zhang wrote:
> Hi, All
>
> I am trying to optimize the swift performance on BGP, I finished it for
> the input phase,
> but suffering the poor performance at the output phase, which is exactly
> the status file
> creation process, as you could tell from the following picture. In this
> test, I ran sleep_30
> jobs, which is expected to finish in 30 seconds.
>
> I am wondering if we could use falkon return code instead of the status
> file? Thanks.

Yes you could.

You would have to do the following:
1. Remove the relevant part from the wrapper (touching of the success
file and sticking failure info in the failure file)
2. Comment out the checkJobStatus() call in vdl-int.k (around line 415)
3. Make the deef provider set a fault on the task (should be a
JobException) when the exit code is not 0
4. Make the wrapper exit with a non-zero exit code when there is a
problem

If this is too brief, let me know, and I'll give you more details.