[Swift-devel] fakecnari on ranger without gridftp

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Sep 28 15:28:53 CDT 2008

On Sun, 2008-09-28 at 19:45 +0000, Ben Clifford wrote:

> certainly I know that transferring the same amount of data as a tarball in
> this particular app seems much much faster (9s vs 450s) - see Subject:
> [Swift-devel] lots of very small files vs gridftp.

Though one thing that is missing there is the part where lots of small
files are created on the filesystem, which, on a shared FS, may be a
considerable time.

So I think we should probably define clearly what we mean by
transferring lots of files, and whether that includes opening each,
reading from each, sending data, creating each, and writing to each of
the files involved.