[Swift-devel] fakecnari on ranger without gridftp

Ian Foster foster at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Sep 28 14:30:19 CDT 2008

Ben:

I like the idea of being able to sleep faster. That could help a lot
sometimes :)

Zhao and others have been working a lot on BG/P, as you probably know.
The challenges inherent in file transfers there are in some ways
comparable. Their solution has been to develop collective I/O
operations that (a) multicast replicated input files more efficiently
than multiple independent reads, and (b) apply two-stage methods to
bundled inputs and outputs, moving them from local disks to the global
file system via an intermediate file system. I wonder whether similar
methods could be applied here?

Independently of that, it would be useful to develop a performance
model for the whole end-to-end system to determine where the
bottlenecks are, and the peak performance that could be expected for
each stage (including data movement) so we can see where there are
opportunities for improvement, and where we are limited by fundamental
limits.

Ian.