[Swift-devel] lots of very small files vs gridftp

Ioan Raicu iraicu at cs.uchicago.edu
Wed Oct 8 12:33:14 CDT 2008

No, the times included the time to allocate nodes as well, but that
wasn't really a significant part of those experiments due to the fact
that for the shorter experiments, we only used 8 to 32 nodes (probably
all got allocated in under 60 sec), and for the larger test, like
MolDyn, the tests lasted hours, so the several minutes it took to
allocate 200 processors was again not significant. In fact, in MolDyn,
you can actually see that only 150 or so processors were allocated
initially, and the rest up to the max of 216 processors were allocated
incrementally as they became available.

Ioan

Mihael Hategan wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-10-06 at 08:17 -0500, Ioan Raicu wrote:
>
>> We have plenty of application use cases.  For example, section 5.4 in
>> http://people.cs.uchicago.edu/~iraicu/publications/2008_NOVA08_book-chapter_Swift.pdf,
>>

> Were the falkon workers pre-allocated there?

Ioan Raicu
Ph.D. Candidate
Distributed Systems Laboratory
Computer Science Department