[Swift-devel] log plots of start/end times

Ben Clifford benc at hawaga.org.uk
Mon Oct 6 12:15:10 CDT 2008

The logs that come out of swift have multiple notions of 'start' and
'end'.

Two are:

  the karajan job sumission Active time and Completed time

and

 the wrapper log start and end times.

In a perfect world, these would be very close together. In reality they
aren't. For gram2, they'll likely be way off (by about 30s); in gram4 they
should be much closer, and I guess in the provisioning providers - falkon
and coasters - they should be pretty close together.

In interactions with a couple of people in the past month I've had concern
about lack of correlation (specifically how much can you rely on the first
above to imply the second?) so I've added a couple of plots to the
standard swift-lot-log plots that the log-processing module makes. These
appear at the bottom on the info page on plots.

The first plots the difference between info and karajan start times for a
job, with the x axis being info start time (to indicate slow-downs in
state change that are tied to a particular time, as I think some gram4
notification slowdowns might be); and the second shows two cumulative
plots for how much difference is between the karajan and info times - in
local mode, the start line is a little bit above the x=y line and the end
line is a little bit below x=y. With more interesting job submission
systems I'd expect these lines to diverge a bit more; in the rumoured case
of gram4 notifications being quite delayed in some cases, I'd expect some
linear shift to the left(?).

Mostly these are here in order to get a feel for how appropriate it is to
regard the karajan start/end times as actual job execution times _ think
often not, but this is intended to give me the pretty pictures to say yes
or no.