[Swift-devel] lots of very small files vs gridftp

Ioan Raicu iraicu at cs.uchicago.edu
Mon Oct 6 08:17:37 CDT 2008

We have plenty of application use cases.  For example, section 5.4 in
http://people.cs.uchicago.edu/~iraicu/publications/2008_NOVA08_book-chapter_Swift.pdf,
shows 3 apps, Montage, fMRI, and MolDyn, where Falkon outperformed GRAM
or PBS with or without clustering.  We also had a poster
(http://people.cs.uchicago.edu/~iraicu/publications/2008_TG08_swift+hadoop-poster.pdf)
which compares Swift+Falkon and Hadoop... and I recall clearly that
Swift+Falkon did better than Swift+PBS with and without clustering for
the data mining (word count and sort) apps we were running.

Ioan

Mihael Hategan wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-10-06 at 05:09 +0000, Ben Clifford wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 30 Sep 2008, Mihael Hategan wrote:
>>

>>> I was mostly thinking about the conceptual part and the implications. At
>>> least for small jobs, Falkon turned out to be the better option.
>>>
>> The ahead-of-time clsutering code always seemed to be a bit buggy and I
>> never saw it used with much success. So I don't really have any
>> quantitative performance comparison between that and running something
>> like falkon/coasters. I'm pretty convinced that the falkon/coaster
>> appraoch is better for job dispatch, but I have no numeric data from
>> actual real application executions.
>>

> Ioan had some in a paper/presentation he did with Yong.

Ioan Raicu
Ph.D. Candidate
Distributed Systems Laboratory
Computer Science Department