[Swift-devel] proper way to run swift on resource using condor?

Mike Kubal mikekubal at yahoo.com
Tue May 20 21:23:15 CDT 2008

I've been having swift invoke a perl script on Purdue.
The perl script writes the the descriptor file that is
passed as an argument to the condor_submit command
within the perl script. The condor_submit command
actually launches the job on a compute node. Every 30
seconds the perl script checks to see if the launched
job has finished. When the launched job finishes the
perl script ends, and the result files are returned
via swift.  The problem with this approach is that I
am either piling many perl scripts onto the logon node
or wasting a compute node to just check the status of
the job.

I have experimented with having swift call
condor_submit directly with the idea of having a
single separate swift function check the status of all
jobs and returned the result files when finished. The
problem here is that once the the job has been
launched successfully, swift removes the  job
sub-directory where the results of the job launched
via condor_submit are written.

Suggestions welcome,

Mike