[Swift-devel] Re: swift-falkon problem

Ioan Raicu iraicu at cs.uchicago.edu
Wed Mar 19 06:15:27 CDT 2008

Right, from what I remember, it never sets the active state.  The jobs
in question probably took less than 1 sec to execute, so seeing 8
seconds between submitted and completed looks fine to me.  The fact that
the timestampts on the file/dir is later than the time Falkon says the
job completed is an indication that either the clocks are not in sync
(bbogin and fd-login.mcs are in sync, but what about bblogin and
SiCortex compute nodes?), or NFS did  not process the write operation
immediately, and under the heavy load of 60 workers ll writing at the
same time, it took 5 seconds to complete the write operation.  Mike,
where are the Falkon logs, to see what happened from Falkon's point of view.

Ioan

Mihael Hategan wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-03-18 at 20:57 +0000, Ben Clifford wrote:
>
>> I picked the first failed job in the log oyu sent. Job id 2qbcdypi.
>>
>> I assume that your submit host and the various machines involved have
>> properly synchronised clocks, but I have not checked this beyond seeing
>> that the machine I am logged into has the same time as my laptop. I have
>> labelled the times taken from different system clocks with lettered clock
>> domains just in case they are different.
>>
>> For this job, its running in thread 0-1-88.
>> The karajan level job submission goes through these states (in clock
>> domain A)
>> 23:14:08,196-0600 Submitting
>> 23:14:08,204-0600 Submitted
>> 23:14:14,121-0600 Active
>> 23:14:14,121-0600 Completed
>>
>> Note that the last two - Active and Completed - are the same (within a
>> millisecond)
>>

> That probably means the provider doesn't really set the active state,
> and it gets filled in when "completed" arrives.

Ioan Raicu
Ph.D. Candidate
Distributed Systems Laboratory
Computer Science Department