[Swift-devel] install directory change. read this - it will break your build.

Ben Clifford benc at hawaga.org.uk
Tue Mar 18 01:27:46 CDT 2008

If you are an SVN user (rather than using mainline Swift releases
downloaded in .tar.gz form), read the following and obey the one
instruction it contains.

The one instruction is:

  delete your cog/modules/vdsk/dist/ directory

Further information about this one instruction which you must obey
follows. You do not have to read this:

I just committed a change to make the SVN version of swift be 'svn' rather
than 0.3-dev. That means that swift will now build to:

dist/vdsk-svn

instead of dist/vdsk-0.3-dev

When you do an svn update and an ant redist, subsequent builds will go
into the above directory.

However, if you already have a dist/vdsk-0.3-dev directory in place, it
will be left there, with the previous version of swift there. This is
almost definitely undesirable for you and you should delete that
directory. My simplest advice is to remove the entire dist/ directory
before making a rebuild.

If you do not delete this directory, you will almost definitely
accidentally leave paths pointing at the old build directory, and you will
therefore almost definitely experience confusion later on when new
functionality and bugs do not appear, and old bugs do not disappear.

All of the above references to 'almost definitely' come from experience
the last times we've bumped the version number; they will almost
definitely cause you trouble if you do not read and act on this mail.

I've changed the in-SVN version to 'svn' on the basis that there is enough
other information about SVN version numbers to render the '0.n-dev' string
pretty useless and no longer worth the above mentioned trouble every time
a release is made.