[Swift-devel] Falkon and Coaster support for MPI

Ioan Raicu iraicu at cs.uchicago.edu
Mon Jun 30 12:46:09 CDT 2008

Plus, we were talking about 32-CPU MPI jobs (for performance reasons),
but there are 256 CPUs in the smallest allocation Cobalt understands, so
if we want to run 8 different jobs of 32 CPU MPI jobs in each P-SET of
256 CPUs, then we can't use Cobalt again, and have to support MPI
internally in Falkon/Coaster.

Ioan

Mihael Hategan wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-06-30 at 10:19 -0500, Mihael Hategan wrote:
>

>> In terms of the scheduling, what we must keep in mind is that
>> coasters/glideins/falkons can be implemented in such a way as to ensure
>> performance is never worse than without them.
>>

> In fact, one trivial implementation of this would be to forward all
> MPI/multi-node jobs directly to the queuing system, under the assumption
> that they are sufficiently large jobs not to benefit much from queue
> bypasses.

Ioan Raicu
Ph.D. Candidate
Distributed Systems Laboratory