[Swift-devel] Falkon and Coaster support for MPI

Ian Foster foster at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Jun 30 03:43:45 CDT 2008

A few thoughts:

1) It must be straightforward to submit MPI programs from Swift, via
the GRAM provider--the only issue is passing the appropriate
parameters to the GRAM submission. (I realize this is not completely
trivial, but as Ben says, we have done it before.)

2) The challenge is doing this in conjunction with multi-level
scheduling (aka Falkon/Coaster/Glideins), which we may require for
reasons of feasibility (on BG/P, where I don't think you can request
less than a rack?) and/or performance.

3) So my view is that we want to set up Swift to support both modes
(1) and (2).

4) Ioan points out that a fully general multi-level scheduling
solution with support for multi-CPU jobs may introduce the need for a
smarter scheduler than our current FIFO approach. E.g., if we have 256
nodes and a queue with jobs of size {32,256,32,32,32,32,32,32,32,32},
a FIFO strategy would run them in that order, and waste much CPU time.
On the other hand, a simple "first-fit" strategy might starve large
jobs.

I think we should be nervous about getting into the business of
implementing scheduler functionality like this.

I'd like to advocate that in the short term, we try to make this
problem go away by requiring that if an application includes MPI
tasks, they all be of the same size.

Of course the problem remains that we will probably still have a mix
of uniprocessor (P=1) and multiprocessor (P=N) tasks. Again, we could
make this problem go away by reserving some nodes for P=1 and some for
P=N, at the cost of some inefficiency.

5) The question has been raised of how to implement (2). One proposal
is to adapt coaster to support MPI jobs. I'm a bit concerned that this
could be expensive: we already have Falkon running well on BG/P, and
given our other commitments to support NSF user communities, putting
scarce resources into replicating that work may not be optimal.

Regards -- Ian.