[Swift-devel] Re: Issues Re: hibernation status review for swift

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Jun 20 20:21:39 CDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-06-20 at 18:02 -0500, Michael Wilde wrote:

> >> 2) We have adjusted our list of committers (by vote) and will get those
> >> people on the @globus list.
> >
> > I'd be careful about making such a statement, because I don't think it
> > was the consensus.
>
> I meant that we took a vote on committers and reduced the list of people
> designated as committers.
>
> What you say below pertains to the email routing, correct? The vote was
> solely about who is a committer. I assume you are not disagreeing with
> that, and that we should update the wiki page to reflect this:
> http://dev.globus.org/wiki/Incubator/Swift#Committers

Well, there were two statements separated by "and". The second was
inaccurate to my understanding.

I replied to your email because it misrepresented what I understood was
the desired (from our group) way to proceed.

> > A better statement would probably be:
> > - Any message sent to the user at globus and devel at globus will be received
> > by all committers.
> > - All commits to the SVN will be received by anybody on commit at globus.
>
> Both of these sound reasonable to me. Do they comply with dev.globus rules?

That was one of the questions. Jen's email didn't seem to clarify
despite the fact that I asked it in what I think was a very clear way.

> Are these lists now in place and active?

The lists are in place, but I did not set up the forwarding. I was
waiting for word from the incubator management.

However, the way I will proceed is to set up forwarding and let them
sort out whether that's a problem or not.

> Do we have open issues regarding email management? Some discussion on
> swift-devel suggested (implied?) we should consider making the
> @globus.dev lists our official (or sole) lists. Should we discuss doing
> that?

No infrastructure changes we agreed?

> As it stands now, is the plan (if we dont make further changes) to leave
> the primary lists be swift-{user,devel}@ci.uchicago.edu, with some
> amount of mirroring of content and membership to the dev.globus lists?

monitored. Forwarding achieves that, and at least Charles seems to agree
with that view. Jen doesn't. My interest was in clarifying which one is
the official incubator management position. Bummer!

> What other infrastructure issues need to be resolved and completed?

We'll need to have our roadmap open to public comments. The CI Trac
doesn't quite fulfill that, so we'll need to move it to bugzilla.

> What other answers are we waiting on dev.globus for?

Whether I, as a non-chair committer, can at all interact with the
incubator management. The answer is, again, fuzzy, but it seems to
suggest that I cannot. So good luck!

Mihael