[Swift-devel] execution.retries

Ben Clifford benc at hawaga.org.uk
Tue Jun 10 12:42:42 CDT 2008

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008, Mihael Hategan wrote:

> That's the one. However, I think that tscores <1 should be translated
> into timed rate limitations. So if tscore = 10 means I can submit at
> most jobThrottle*10 jobs, tscore = 0.1 should mean that I can submit
> jobs no faster than some_number/tscore seconds. Like an exponential
> back-off.

heh, I was just writing almost exactly the same email to you.

tscore=1 should 1 job slot available

tscore < 1 should mean one job slot available some of the time.

I'm not sure what the formula for calculating the <1 availability should
be, though. It needs to cope with rapidly slowing down in the presence of
fast fail, slowing down to the scale of other running jobs (so eg on the
scale of minute to hours) without overly slowing down.

Some experimentation there will probably help.

Related to this, I've been playing with provider-wonky a bit to make it
able to exhibit other failure modes such as this fast fail behaviour; but
nothing to commit yet.