[Swift-devel] [PROPOSAL] Review and adjust Committers list

Michael Wilde wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Jun 5 15:46:49 CDT 2008

Subject was: Re: [Swift-devel] committers

As we move towards meeting the infrastructure and process guidelines of
the dev.globus incubator, I propose that we revise the committers list.

I propose, based on the people actively involved in the project, that
the committers list be changed by vote of the current committers to be:

Ben Clifford
Ian Foster
Mihael Hategan
Sarah Kenny
Michael Wilde

Of this list, all but Sarah are current committers. Sarah has recently
joined the group, and her job calls for her to become an active committer.

I propose that Nika Nefedova and Beth Cerny be taken off the committers
list. Neither Nika nor Beth currently work on the project. As a web
content developer, Beth may likely contribute in the future, but does
not I feel need to (nor I suspect want to) engage as a contributor.

I propose that Ioan Raicu, Tibi Stef-Praun, and Yong Zhao become
contributors rather than committers. Their past contributions have been
immensely valuable, but I feel that their current role is more
appropriately one of contributor. Ioan, Tibi, Yong, if you feel
differently, and plan to be an active committer, I'm happy to amend this
proposal to reflect your wish.

But I am seeking to keep the committers list, which has voting rights in
the project, down to the people that are deeply involved.

This will be our first formal vote under the dev.globus guidelines:
http://dev.globus.org/wiki/Guidelines#Decision_Making

My understanding is that we do this:

1) readers reply to this email with comments.
2) I as proposer calls a vote with another email
3) you respond to the vote email with:

The way you do this is - I think - to reply to the voting email with one
of these strings and in some cases additional text as indicated:

+1 The action should be performed.
+0 Abstain - I support the action.
-0 Abstain, I don't support the action but I can't help with an alternative
-1 The action should not be performed and I am offering an explanation
or alternative.

Ive paraphrased these from the original to reflect what I believe is
appropriate for a committers-list change rather than a technical change.

My read of the guidelines is that we have 5 days to conduct vote.
I'll send the [VOTE] message out in a few hours, to allow initial
comments on this proposal.

- Mike