[Swift-devel] Re: Drop kickstart, adopt wrapper logs?

Michael Wilde wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Jul 25 10:48:36 CDT 2008

Im happy with wrapper for now.

Regarding use: there is a real need. *I* used kickstart quite a bit when
working on apps. It doesnt get used because its not easy and not efficient.

A real user need exists right now: the OOPS folding app has memory and
cpu usage issues that impact its feasibility. The user (Glen Hocky)
needs to compare its run time on different platforms with different
compilers, and also needs to tune how many copies run on multicore hosts
(bgp, sicortex, Abe/QueenBee on TG, and Ranger - 4, 6, 8, and 16
respectively).

So Glen is essentially doing his own logging in the app wrapper, using
/usr/bin/time.  But this is something we can and should do for the user,
simply, naturally, and by default. And make it easy enough that the
basic app performance characteristics are reported on every run.

Very similar needs exist with DOCK: we have some mysterious app failures
that we'd like to correlate with mem consumption.

And BLAST: Ive told Alina to to ad-hoc time/mem recording there as well.

In the BGP we are starting to discuss collective I/O, and have been
running apps in a way that returns all their little output files -
including ad-hoc time reports, in a single tarball per job.

So I think this is worth discussing and improving.

I'll take a look at what wrapper is doing, and we can discuss a few
options for moving the logs. One of which is that the user bundles it
explicitly. Another is that the files are streamed and/or batched. A
third is that the info is stream as Mihael suggests.

- Mike