[Swift-devel] mystery runs on ucanl & ncsa--warning very long email, sorry!

skenny at uchicago.edu skenny at uchicago.edu
Thu Jul 24 17:49:40 CDT 2008

>On Thu, 2008-07-24 at 17:32 -0500, skenny at uchicago.edu wrote:
>> yes (see below) and SOME of the jobs in the workflow do
>> complete when we submit the whole workflow to ucanl.
>
>Indeed. It seems like roughly half of them work and the other
half
>break. Could this be an ia32/ia64 issue? Like python being
compiled for
>the wrong platform or something?

hmm, not quite sure i follow, since we're only sending to ia64
on this run...how can i test?

>> unfortunately i can't test anything on ncsa right now 'cause
>> it's down.
>
>It being down would generally prevent swift from being able
to run jobs
>there. Which is probably what happened the week before.

ha ha, what swift can't run jobs on a site that's down?
lame! heh, actually we've had a couple of runs now where we
see the behavior i described on ncsa--e.g. a few jobs
completing but some failing and an eventual decline. though,
it's true the site's been up and down quite a bit over the
past few weeks so could be indicative of something else wrong
entirely. incidentally, i told them a couple weeks
ago i was having trouble submitting to gram4 so we switched
back to gram2 and it *seemed* to be working...for a while.

well, we're trying on yet another site now so if we see more
of the same we'll know we need to do *something* on our end.

thanks
sarah