[Swift-devel] too much slow down.

Ben Clifford benc at hawaga.org.uk
Tue Jul 15 11:02:24 CDT 2008

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008, Mihael Hategan wrote:

> We need to classify errors into transients and non-transients.

Any error is transient if you wait long enough... pretty much that's what
this delay stuff is doing anyway - trying to avoid transients. But what a
transient is is subjective. Quite legitimately a 1h site outage could be a
transient or could not be, depending on what you're trying to do.

The choice of constants (of which there are two) used in delay calculation
is poor at the moment in that it appears to be giving ridiculously long
delays.

I think what those values should be will be decided by user taste. Some
would rather have workflows fail instantly (for instantly = <5min) whilst
others might be prepared to wait a week... at the moment, it appears
biased towards the latter.