[Swift-devel] Need help using Data Capacitor in Swift Workflow

Michael Wilde wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Jan 30 11:24:43 CST 2008

Mike, did you already do a space estimate for the upcoming workflows?
If not, can we help?

Once we have DC access (via certs), its just a GridFTP server, so its
not much more work than just adding a new storage site.

Files in the DC have "term limits" of either 2 or 4 weeks of non-use
before they are removed (depending on whether we use scratch or
persistent directory areas).

The only extra work will be watching the space and deciding when things
need to move to a tape archive (also via GridFTP, possibly using tgcp)

We will look into getting more space in the CI SAN, but need to find
funds and place orders.  This will take some time. Space in the CI SAN
is not reserved, so if we buy mre disks, we need to use placeholder
files to hold our space. Thats yet more management work.

The DC space will always be handy to have access to, so I think we're
doing the right thing by pushing it forward.

Turns out my app to TG Help for DC space got bounced back a week agon
and I didnt notice. I just refiled it directly with the DC group.
Im hoping to hear in a day or two.  I *think* we can test against the DC
scratch space with an ordinary TG account. Thats what I was testing a
week ago before I started traveling. Im hoping Mihael can take over on this.

- Mike