[Swift-devel] Support request: Swift jobs flooding uc-teragrid?

Ben Clifford benc at hawaga.org.uk
Wed Jan 30 07:46:07 CST 2008

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008, Ti Leggett wrote:

> As a site admin I would rather you ramp up and not throttle down. Starting
> high and working to a lower number means you could kill the machine many times
> before you find the lower bound of what a site can handle. Starting slowly and
> ramping up means you find that lower bound once. From my point of view, one
> user consistently killing the resource can be turned off to prevent denial of
> service to all other users *until* they can prove they won't kill the
> resource. So I prefer the conservative.

The code does ramp up at the moment, starting with 6 simultaneous jobs by
default.

What doesn't happen very well at the moment is automated detection of 'too
much' in order to stop ramping up - the only really good feedback at the
moment (not just in this particular case but in other cases before) seems
to be a human being sitting in the feedback loop tweaking stuff.

Two things we should work on are:
 i) making it easier for the human who is sitting in that loop
and
 ii) figuring out a better way to get automated feedback.

>From a TG-UC perspective, for example, what is a good way to know 'too
much'? Is it OK to keep submitting jobs until they start failing? Or
should there be some lower point at which we stop?