[Swift-devel] Re: Potential programming languages related projects on Swift for Ian's Grid course?

Michael Wilde wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Jan 15 18:50:38 CST 2008

Hi Lars and Akiva,

Ben Clifford and Mihael Hategan are the Swift development team.
Ben works out of London, but travels here frequently.
Mihael is based here at the CI (can can often be found there).

I passed along a few of the ideas that I mentioned to you after class to
the group email list. (Ian's on the list btw).

For a class project, the difficulty will be scaling to something that
can be done in the available time.

I dont quite know the scale that Ian is expecting from the projects, but
for starters, even for example if Mihael and Ben do much or all of the
implementation work for a new language feature, a good project would be
to test and demonstrate its use (and performance) on a distributed
system. (Eg, the cross-product looping feature I mentioned to you).

A few ideas that might be more feasible would involve a swift
"preprocessor" where you could prototype new language features using
fairly simple preprocesors that emit swift code as output. For example,
the ability to call web services might be prototyped in this manner.

A good start would be for you to try the swift tutorial(s) and
experiment with it - make sure its something you can work with.

They are at:
http://www.ci.uchicago.edu/swift/docs/index.php

So this should hopefully kick off a discussion, and we'll see where it
can take you.

Ben and I are headed into 3 weeks of intensive travel and teaching, but
but hopefully you can meet face to face with Mihael to brainstorm ideas.

As we mull over things, the shape of a few good projects is sure to emerge.

- Mike