[Swift-devel] Some questions about Swift

Ben Clifford benc at hawaga.org.uk
Tue Feb 26 10:42:04 CST 2008

On Tue, 26 Feb 2008, jezhee wrote:

>    I have installed the Swift environment in my computer and run some
> simple examples in local machine.  All things were normal except that
> the exection was very slow. A simple program just displaying text on the
> screen took 5 to 10 seconds. Could you tell me why?

There is a lot of startup involved with running a swift program - that is
probably most of the time you see. This time consists of loading the JVM,

However, if you run two programs, you should find that it takes about the
same amount of time, not twice as long.

>    Besides, I followed the instructions in the documentation, Swift lab
> at University of Chicago Computation Institute,part I: Grid
> workflow(url:http://www.ci.uchicago.edu/osgedu/schools/swiftlab/). BUt,
> I didn't find the folder sw in my machine, and the file
> sites-chicago.xml neither. So, I can't let my program run at a remote
> host. How to solve this?

Those instructions won't work if you are working on your own machine.

Have you ever used Globus to run a job on the grid before? If so, then I
can show you how to use Swift to submit jobs from there using your
existing setup.

If you have not, then you should get set up to submit jobs to some
execution system first - for example, apply for an account on the CI
gridlab at http://www.ci.uchicago.edu/osgedu/schools/gridlab/