[Swift-devel] Re: Swift jobs on UC/ANL TG

Ti Leggett leggett at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Feb 4 10:55:48 CST 2008

load average is only an indication of what may be a problem. I've seen
a load of 10000 on a machine and it still be very responsive because
the processes weren't CPU hungry. So using load as a metric for
determining acceptability is a small piece. In this case it should be
the response of the gatekeeper. For instance, the inca jobs were
timing out getting a response from the gatekeeper after 5 minutes.
This is unacceptable. I would say as soon as it takes more than a
minute for the GK to respond, back off.