[Swift-devel] Re: Another performance comparison of DOCK

Ioan Raicu iraicu at cs.uchicago.edu
Sun Apr 13 15:39:31 CDT 2008

Ben Clifford wrote:

> I think there's two directions to proceed in here that make sense for
> actual use on single clusters running falkon (rather than trying to cut
> out stuff randomly to push up numbers):
>
>  i) use some of the data placement features in falkon, rather than Swift's
>     relatively simple data management that was designed more for running
>     on the grid.
>
>  ii) do stage-ins using symlinks rather than file copying. this makes
>      sense when everything is living in a single filesystem, which again
>      is not what Swift's data management was originally optimised for.
>
> I think option ii) is substantially easier to implement (on the order of
> days) and is generally useful in the single-cluster, local-source-data
> situation that appears to be what people want to do for running on the
> BG/P and scicortex (that is, pretty much ignoring anything grid-like at
> all).

I think this is worth a try, although it will probably be post SC
(tomorrow night at midnight EST).
> Option i) is much harder (on the order of months), needing a very
> different interface between Swift and Falkon than exists at the moment.

I agree.  I have another deadline on May 8th, but I think we can start
the discussions in May, and hope to have some Swift apps running over
the data diffusion mechanism in Falkon over the summer months.

Ioan

Ioan Raicu
Ph.D. Candidate
Distributed Systems Laboratory