[Swift-devel] fast-failing jobs

Ben Clifford benc at hawaga.org.uk
Sun Apr 13 11:19:04 CDT 2008

On Sat, 12 Apr 2008, Mihael Hategan wrote:

> That's pretty much what a low score does if there's throttling based on
> score. Perhaps our solution is to have a low job throttle and a higher
> score range (i.e. T=1000 instead of 100).

The present scoring system won't ever go below 2 jobs per site, so pretty
much whatever the parameters are tweaked to, a fast-fail site will eat 2
jobs per fast-fail cycle.

> That or we could enforce a submission rate (j/s) based on score.

That is perhaps better.

It would make lower scores more punitive than at the moment, which may be
a problem given the way that in certain other failure modes the score gets
reduced catastrophically. (eg a transient problem where all jobs fail that
are in progress, with a large number of jobs in progress - this was why I
put that lower bound in on the scores - to prevent the score actually
getting really low)