[Swift-devel] how to put different wrapper behaviour into production

Ben Clifford benc at hawaga.org.uk
Wed Apr 9 10:08:24 CDT 2008

Last week or so I made some patches that change wrapper.sh to copy lots of
stuff around to a(n assumed) worker-local filesystem rather than using the
shared filesystem.

I don't particularly like this for general use - it means doing more
steps, and more stuff to go wrong. Most especially, the worker-node-local
info log files mean that if something goes wrong during execution (as
often happens) there is a much greater level of difficulty in getting hold
of those logs to debug.

There are two paths that I see:

i) add a swift runtime option that is passed to the wrapper, to select
more-worker-node-local or less-worker-node-local behaviour; with one
wrapper script able to function in both modes.

or

ii) allow the wrapper script to be specified as a runtime option; supply
the standard wrapper script and the worker-node local script.

Option i leads down a path of perhaps having lots of different options
passed to the worker. This might be a good thing or might not.

Option ii allows more open ended customisation of the wrapper scripts, but
is likely to result in people keeping their own versions of the wrapper
script around which will quickly stagnate and cause problems when they try
to use.

I'm somewhat inclined towards option ii.