[Swift-devel] coaster status summary

Ioan Raicu iraicu at cs.uchicago.edu
Mon Apr 7 13:18:12 CDT 2008

I agree that the BG/P is the only system I can think of right now that
won't work with the UDP scheme you currently have, assuming that you
will run the service on a login node that has access to both compute
nodes and external world (i.e. Swift).  The compute nodes don't support
Java, so you'd have to have some C/Fortran code, or maybe some scripting
language (which I don't know what kind of support there is).   If you
use C or Fortran, MPI becomes a viable alternative.  TCP has always been
an alternative.  Anyways, if UDP doesn't work on the BG/P, and the BG/P
is the only scale large enough (today) that warrants a connectionless
protocol, then I suggest you switch to TCP (which has worked for us well
on the BG/P, and is general enough to work in most environments) or even
MPI (but you loose the generality of TCP, but might gain performance).

Ioan

Mihael Hategan wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 12:49 +0000, Ben Clifford wrote:
>
>> Wary of excessive optimisation of job completion notification speed in
>> order to get high 'trivial/useless job' numbers, when there also seem to
>> be problems getting shared filesystem access fast enough for non-useless
>> jobs. Getting a ridiculously high trivial job throughput is not (in my
>> eyes) a design goal of this coaster work.
>>

> 200 j/s should be enough for anybody.
>
> Joking aside, the issue was ability to scale to large number of jobs
> rather than speed. But it looks like the issue is only an issue for
> monsters such as the BG/P.

Ioan Raicu
Ph.D. Candidate
Distributed Systems Laboratory