[Fwd: Re: [Swift-devel] Re: swift-falkon problem... plots to explain plateaus...]

Ioan Raicu iraicu at cs.uchicago.edu
Tue Apr 1 10:43:16 CDT 2008

Mihael Hategan wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-04-01 at 10:26 -0500, Ioan Raicu wrote:
>
>> Michael Wilde wrote:
>>
>>> We're only working on the BG/P system, and GPFS is the only shared
>>> filesystem there.
>>>
>> There is PVFS, but that performed even worse in our tests.
>>
>>> GPFS access, however, remains a big scalabiity issue. Frequent small
>>> accesses to GPFS in our measurements really slow down the workflow. We
>>> did a lot of micro-benchmark tests.
>>>
>> Yes!  The BG/P's GPFS probably performs the worst out of all GPFSes I
>> have worked on, in terms of small granular accesses.  For example,
>> reading 1 byte files, invoking a trivial script (i.e. exit 0), etc...
>> all perform extremely poor, to the point that we need to move away from
>> GPFS almost completely.  For example, the things that we eventually need
>> to avoid on GPFS for the BG/P are:
>> invoking wrapper.sh
>> mkdir
>> any logging to GPFS
>>

> Doing nothing can be incredibly fast.

What I meant is that we need to move these operations to the local file
system, i.e. RAM.  We have run applications on BG/P via Falkon only, and
implemented a caching strategy that caches all scripts, binaries, and
input data, to RAM... once the task execution (all from RAM) completes,
and has written its output to RAM, then there is a single copy operation
of the output data from RAM to GPFS.  We control how frequently this
copy operation occurs, so we can essentially scale quite nicely and
linearly with this approach.  The hope is that we can eventually work
this kind of functionality in the wrapper.sh, or in Swift itself.  So, a
reply to your statement, we would like to preserve the functionality of
the wrapper.sh, but move as much as possible of that functionality from
a shared file system to a local disk.

Ioan

>> There are probably others.
>>
>>> Zhao, can you gather a set of these tests into a small suite and post
>>> numbers so the Swift developers can get an understanding of the
>>> system's GPFS access performance?
>>>
>>> Also note: the only local filesystem is RAM disk on /tmp or /dev/shm.
>>> (Ioan and Zhao should confirm if they verified that /tmp is on RAM).
>>>
>> Yes, there are no local disks on either BG/P or SiCortex.  Both machines
>> have /tmp and dev/shm mounted as ram disks.
>>
>> Ioan
>>
>>> - Mike

Ioan Raicu
Ph.D. Candidate