[Swift-devel] Use case and examples needed to avoid large directories

Michael Wilde wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Sep 30 14:51:42 CDT 2007

Right, I agree - thats what I said in my message yesterday.
But we have to deal with (ie wrap or change) programs that only accept
their list of files to process on the command line.

Most such cases can readily be re-wraped in a shell script assuming the
app is associative.  If its not, it needs to be recoded to either be
associative or to take an unlimited number of files from a list-file.

The question is mainly whether to let such wrappers be coded in swift,
or require that they be done in an external scripting language.

Related to this: I'm going to file an enhancement request for
discussion, to permit scripting language code to be specified "in line"
in an app { } declaration.

This would be handy in that external-language wrapper code can be
written right in the swift program, to make it easier to see whats being
  done, and in fact to code many simple processing scripts without
needing any tc.data entries.

- Mike