[Swift-devel] Use case and examples needed to avoid large directories

Ben Clifford benc at hawaga.org.uk
Sat Sep 29 03:42:59 CDT 2007

In brief, if you have a file in your submit directory called:

  (swifthome)/a/b.txt

and map it somehow:

 file f <"a/b.txt">;

then on the submit side, in the run directory it will map to individual
job execution directory like this:

  (individualjobdir)/a/b.txt

This should be the case for inputs, outputs and intermediates.

If you want to map everything in the 'a' directory, you can map something
like:

 file f[] <filesys_mapper; location="a">;

to get an array containing every file in a.

Its meant to be the case that you can also store stuff elsewhere (on the
same machine or on any gridftp server) rather than directly in the submit
directory but I had some troubles when playing with it so I have a bug
open and am waiting on that before further documentation of that bit.