[Swift-devel] Use case and examples needed to avoid large directories

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Sep 28 18:38:22 CDT 2007

My point was that whatever you do with the mappers on the client side
will be reproduced on the server side. For example, if your input data
would be broken like this:
0/00.dat
0/01.dat
0/09.dat
1/10.dat
9/99.dat

and your output data would be split in a similar way, then on the server
side these things would go into shared/0/00.dat... shared/9/99.dat and
whatever dirs your output data is in.

Getting mappers to do this in the first place is another matter, which
eludes me at the moment.

Mihael