[Swift-devel] log naming

Veronika Nefedova nefedova at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Sep 13 11:20:36 CDT 2007

Hi,

I am curious at how hard it would be to change the way the logs and
temp dirs are named in swift? Right now its a random number being
attached to the name of the .swift file. I do not find it really
helpful when analyzing the log. Would it be possible to attach a
timestamp instead of a random number?

For example, right now I have a log file named this way:

MolDyn-xgv2nuncojno1.log.

And I would like to have the name to be this:

  MolDyn-2007-07-05 _11_49.log (or any other standard date/time
format - I do not care about the actual format). All I care is to be
able to find the log of the run done on a particular day/time.

Note, that this is not just the log naming. The remote working
directories also have the same suffix -- changing it to a timestamp
would help to locate the remote directories for debugging purposes.

It doesn't look like a big change to do so I am curious how hard it
would be to implement it?

Thanks,

Nika