[Swift-devel] Re: [Swift-user] Resending: I/O errors in swift script

Ben Clifford benc at hawaga.org.uk
Thu Sep 13 10:21:32 CDT 2007

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007, Mihael Hategan wrote:

> Or, perhaps, the information about the workflow should be organized
> better, using interfaces more intuitive than endless streams of loosely
> structured text, so that the user can, interactively, explore the
> various details of what has happened.

Getting enough structure into log messages to facilitate this is probably
something that could be looked at at the same time as looking at CEDPS
logging stuff.

> Now, there's retries and there's lazy errors (compute everything that's
> possible and only stop after nothing more can be done). You can disable
> that. swift -help. I think it's -lazy.errors=false.

One thing that I find particularly unhelpful about the output in lazy
errors mode is that this:

1. Application reslice not executed due to errors in dependencies (4
times)

gets reported as the same kind of error as this:

3. Application "align_warp" failed (File not found:
/Users/benc/work/fmri-tutorial/swift/Raw/anatomy0004.img)

so people have to learn to ignore the dependecy errors.

It might be useful to turn off lazy errors by default.

It also might be useful to change the output formatting so dependency
errors like this don't count as errors - either not reported at all or
reported in some different way.