[Swift-devel] Re: Kickstart

Brian Tierney bltierney at lbl.gov
Wed Sep 12 16:42:11 CDT 2007

I was thinking of something similar too.

I think you can leverage the CEDPS work for log collection into a
database. Adding CEDPS-style logging to GridFTP and WS-Gram is nearly
complete, and we have parsers that convert old GridFTP and gatekeeper logs.

Also, OSG is starting to deploy our log collection tools.

Michael Wilde wrote:
> Hi Brian,
>
> Lets continue this informally in email. Perhaps Ben (Swift Tech
> Coordinator) can join one of the calls.
>
> It will be pretty simple to get kickstart data in the right form.
>
> But an intersting and perhaps valuable (dare I say exciting?) demo of
> logging would be to do a multi-site workflow, and correlate all he logs
> from GRAM, GridFTP, and Swift, into a meaningful ans useful stream; then
> do queries/reports on that stream.
>
> I'm cc'ing the Swift devel list to encourage discussion, but I think we
> can make small continuos steps in this direction and make something
> interesting happen pretty readily.
>
> What would we need to do to get CEDPS-conformant logging from GRAM &
> GridFTP at the sites we frequent? (the CI's TeraPort, uc-teragrid, and
> tg sites at ncsa, sdsc, purdue, tacc, perhaps a few more?)  Plus OSG
> sites as we start using them more?
>
> - Mike
>

> Brian Tierney wrote:
>>
>> Mike:
>>
>> After reading the Kickstart paper, I think there are several possible
>> areas of collaboration with CEDPS.
>>
>> Do you want to talk about this on one of the CEDPS calls, or perhaps
>> better would be to discuss this in person when we are at ANL for the
>> CEDPS meeting at the end of October.
>>
>> Thoughts?

   Brian L. Tierney,   Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (LBNL)
   1 Cyclotron Rd.  MS: 50B-2239,  Berkeley, CA  94720
   tel: 510-486-7381    fax: 510-495-2998   efax: 425-642-4558
   bltierney at lbl.gov   http://www-didc.lbl.gov/~tierney