[Swift-devel] Formatting kickstart records

Dan Gunter dkgunter at lbl.gov
Tue Sep 11 16:09:33 CDT 2007

You are correct, guid does imply RFC4122.  The relevant text (from p. 7
of the document) is:

We recommend using the standard "globally unique identifier" (guid) for
this. Rules for constructing a guid are given by RFC4122[3], and
implemented by several freely available libraries and the uuidgen
program (a standard utility on Windows and Unix). Guid's should be
encoded in the string representation given by RFC4122, e.g.
"5006F942-B782-4D86-9E66-63EB03269FD0". For situations where it is
important to have a smaller identifier, one can optionally use a local
identifier such as a request or transaction number. The reserved field
names are: "guid" for a guid and "id" for a local identifier. Software
processing log events should look for both "guid" and "id" fields, in
that order.

So, the text implies that you had better have a proper RFC4122
identifier if you use GUID. Brian was simply letting you in on the
little "secret" that in practice we're not planning on checking guid
formats.

-Dan

--
Dan Gunter. voice:510-495-2504 fax:510-486-6363 dsd.lbl.gov/~dang