[Swift-devel] Re: Fwd: Considering Running errors

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Sep 5 18:09:19 CDT 2007

Well, it looks like OSG makes what I would think would be a relatively
simple process complicated. Maybe I'm missing something.

However, there is one thing that we should address in Swift. And that is
the separation between storage and temporary job directories. We
currently make the assumption that the latter are one level below the
former. But I don't think this restriction is necessary, and I don't
think there are many places in the code that make that assumption.

As for the lack of a shared file system and the necessity to address
this using an intricate and seemingly unstable procedure that needs to
happen on the head node, I don't know what to say. It looks like OSG
could, in a best case scenario, provide some form of service (not
necessarily in the TCP/IP/web service sense) with a well defined
interface that allows these things to be done in a uniform way across
sites. Any ideas?

Mihael