[Swift-devel] awf2 errors

Ben Clifford benc at hawaga.org.uk
Sat Oct 27 17:58:25 CDT 2007

On Sat, 27 Oct 2007, Michael Wilde wrote:

> I think we should try to indicate top-level Swift-detected errors with a
> distinct code to separate them from all the lower-level error details that

There are a very few defined states through which 'execute'
entities can go through; likewise for the various other logged event
streams. APPLICATION_EXCEPTION is one such for execute2.

That doesn't propagate to its containing 'execute' - instead it retries 3
times and then goes into its own failure state (although that didn't
happen in awf2.log - all executes completed successfully).

> each incident produces. I realize in practice that this may not be easy, as
> the details may get logged before the error propagates up tp the "top" level.

> I wonder what the Globus developers have concluded about error logging
> strategy. (Can discuss this later on relevant bugzilla bugs - dont want to
> sidetrack discussion now).

There's no particularly coherent Globus-wide error logging strategy.
Attempts to discuss it usually turn into the usual religiousfest.