[Swift-devel] awf2 errors

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Oct 27 17:05:49 CDT 2007

On Sat, 2007-10-27 at 21:57 +0000, Ben Clifford wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Oct 2007, Michael Wilde wrote:
>
> > One additional unexplained item is that in the run you analyzed with a 4-wide
> > transfer throttle, I was still getting a lot of I/O errors in the log, which I
> > dont thing have been explained yet.
>
> Can you past one? I don't immediately see them. I see lots of
> APPLICATION_EXCEPTIONS but with not much detail about the cause.

Whenever a job fails, Swift will attempt to transfer the stdout and
stderr of that job. There is no guarantee that those files are created
by the job (i.e. they only get created when at least one character is
written to them). Hence the transfer of these may fail. It is not an
error at the Swift level. Again, it's a pattern of the following kind:

try {
  optionalOperationWhichDoesNotHaveToSucceed();
}
catch (Exception e) {
  log(e);
}