[Swift-devel] Clustering and Temp Dirs with Swift

Ben Clifford benc at hawaga.org.uk
Sat Oct 27 13:50:39 CDT 2007

On Sat, 27 Oct 2007, Michael Wilde wrote:

> I suspect that my angle workflow on UC teragrid was having similar problems:
> lots of jobs finishing but data coming back very slowly.
> (Btw I really appreciate everyones efforts on this and I *do* realize that its
> a weekend)

Is this the one that looks like you were hitting the maximum-of-4-at-once
limit on file transfers?

> Ben: is the log_processing code changing as we speak, and is it sensible for
> me and others to try to run your latest versions? Or just send you logfiles?

It always changes. But you can svn update whenever you want.

If you put a log file (and associated kickstart records) in the usual
repository then its easy enough for me to run the code on it.

> Question: do people feel that a move to local disk could be done
> *entirely* in wrapper.sh, or is it known that other parts of swift would
> have to change as well?

I think that there won't be a trivial solution to this problem. At
present, the model is quite strongly tied to a site-shared filesystem (as
VDS was before).

In the past, we've discussed informally different ways of moving data
round between submit-side storage locations, site-wide storage locations
and worker-local storage. I think this is another use case for that; but I
think the general conclusion that that's a non-trivial thing to do is
still valid.

> For the moment, until I hear comments on the questions above, I will
> work on Angle, see if I get the same problems (I should see the same)
> and try to start a simple text doc on the data management mechanism that
> will at least help *me* better understand whats going on.

For angle, a first thing to try is increasing the transfer throttle.

If there's lock contention there, it may be that will decrease, rather
than increase the performance.