[Swift-devel] Re: [ci.uchicago.edu #349] Clustering and Temp Dirs with Swift (fwd)

Andrew Robert Jamieson andrewj at uchicago.edu
Sat Oct 27 11:36:54 CDT 2007

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 17:00:33 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Greg Cross (CI) via RT" <teraport-support at ci.uchicago.edu>
To: andrewj at uchicago.edu
Subject: Re: [ci.uchicago.edu #349] Clustering and Temp Dirs with Swift

You're correct that a lot of localized traffic on GPFS can cause
noticeable degradations in performance.  The question is, though, are
you asking to have scratch space available on all nodes available at
any arbitrary time, or if you want to instrument your workflow to
copy the data to a scratch space as part of your job.  It's difficult
to group filesystem operations on a per-job basis.  We do not allow
access to compute nodes that aren't assigned to an active job for a
given user.

In theory, you could specify your job to request a group of nodes at
once.  You could then disperse the data accordingly and instrument a
wrapper script to run your single-node tasks in a parallel fashion.
You could write the wrapper script such that it uses the same job to
run many tasks serially.  (On top of this, the parallel and serial
techniques could be combined.)

There are environmental variables that are coupled with job
submissions that can be used to identify hostnames for a multi-node
job.  This may not be ideal or easy to instrument in a script, but if
it's feasible, I'd suggest submitting an interactive job for multiple
nodes, and you can test and debug any wrapper scripts accordingly.

-- Greg